Other Puzzles

AndrewParr

Re: Other Puzzles

Post by AndrewParr »

Hi all,

I have saved up a bit of cash and I'm in the market for a new puzzle (or two... or more). Since many of you know the puzzle market far better than I do, I'd like to ask for your recommendations.

What puzzle(s) in your collection has given you a satisfying challenge, looks great on your puzzle shelf, and is a quality product? I've already got all the revomazes I want, and I'm not a voyager, so those are out. I won't otherwise tell you what puzzles I tend to buy because I'm up for new ideas. Lets put a cap at $400 US or £240.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Andy
Starting over
y2khappens

Post by y2khappens »

Bill
jerryloo71

Post by jerryloo71 »

AndrewParr wrote:Hi all,

I have saved up a bit of cash and I'm in the market for a new puzzle (or two... or more). Since many of you know the puzzle market far better than I do, I'd like to ask for your recommendations.

What puzzle(s) in your collection has given you a satisfying challenge, looks great on your puzzle shelf, and is a quality product? I've already got all the revomazes I want, and I'm not a voyager, so those are out. I won't otherwise tell you what puzzles I tend to buy because I'm up for new ideas. Lets put a cap at $400 US or £240.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Andy
Either the Angel Box or if two puzzles the First Box + Lotus. There are a couple of others I could recommend but these are not commercially available anymore.
Mrhero

Post by Mrhero »

Definetely the first box ! Its the ultimate puzzle!
OR00253 open 20 h 23/11/13
GR01832 open 2.5 h 2/12/13
LM00253 Uuuuuuuuuuuuughhhh.
AG01864 finally cracked the beast!! 100h 19/09/2020
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

First box
Aluminium Cylinder
BUGRBRAGAUTIPUORLMRBL1BL2GMCUAQINMTTQSAGY
waiting: lite
Will

Post by Will »

Do you have the Danlock? If not then get one. It's a great sequential discovery puzzle and the favorite of many people who tried it. Dan usually have a long waiting list though, so it might be months before you get one, but it never hurts to ask. ;)

CubicDissection is currently selling the Cutler Cube, which will present a great challenge and probably will take months to solve if you're aren't experienced with complicated burr puzzles. It's also below the cap at $379. (Buy it... Let yourself fall to the dark side... :twisted: )

Jerry have designed a (maze?) puzzle called the Ball in Cylinder. I've tried it and it's got a simple and elegant solution, yet tricky to figure out. :)

Also if you're not on a tight budget, I recommend the Rosebud. It's a well-known coordinate motion puzzle by Stewart Coffin. It looks amazing when opening, and is a bugger to put back together :twisted: Puzzleparadise has one on sale.

There's a excellent N-ary puzzle on Creative Crafthouse if you like these kinds of puzzles. It's called the Hexadecimal puzzle, and it's a remake of a old design that has been out of production for years. The puzzle have 16 different kinds of settings presenting a different binary puzzle on each one. Be quick if you want one... The numbers are limited!

Last you can always go to the Hanayamas. They're cheap and small but they (especially the harder ones) are easily put on par with the other puzzles out there.

Just putting various favorite puzzles of mine up... Good luck finding what you wanted! But, it's a rule... Take your budget, square it and multiply by three to get what you'll be spending in the end :lol:
LM #21: Opened
IN #21: Opened
GM #21: Opened
BR #21: Opened
OR #151: Opened
Ti SE 21-50: Opened
BU #808: Opened
CU #21: Twisting and turning
AU #21: Waiting
AndrewParr

Post by AndrewParr »

Thanks Will, that's an impressive list. I've got some research to do! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

It's interesting how so many people suggested the first box. That's on my short list already, because I've seen it mentioned in the forum so much.
Starting over
AndrewParr

Post by AndrewParr »

New question: I've been using Puzzle Master as my go-to online puzzle store. Are there any others you can recommend?
Starting over
Mrhero

Post by Mrhero »

Check mrpuzzle's (Brian Young's) store . He has a great variety of puzzles, and there are lot of puzzles that are hard to find on other shops. He also has some Wil Strijbos' puzzles ! So if you don't want to be in Wil's member list and spend tons of money there, you can also do it in Brian's shop!
He has a lot of puzzles he makes that look awesome! A few days ago i've ordered 6(!) IPP puzzles from him :) http://www.mrpuzzle.com.au/index.htm
Last edited by Mrhero on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OR00253 open 20 h 23/11/13
GR01832 open 2.5 h 2/12/13
LM00253 Uuuuuuuuuuuuughhhh.
AG01864 finally cracked the beast!! 100h 19/09/2020
jerryloo71

Post by jerryloo71 »

Ah yes, the Danlock Will mentioned slipped my mind, that's a very good one....

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”