Pi-ano

AndrewParr

Pi-ano

Post by AndrewParr »

I bought a new puzzle called piano (check out the name on the puzzle itself - clever!). The object is to fit all the pieces flush to the frame. The puzzle shipped in shrink wrap unsolved (see pictures), and I have found three ways (so far) to assemble the pieces. I submit to the puzzle community this question: Which version do you think is the correct assembly: A, B, or C? The puzzle didn't come with instructions. I am a music teacher and familiar with the piano keyboard, so I know one of my assemblies is absolutely not right. But the other two solutions seems valid.

Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_0281B.jpg
IMG_0281B.jpg (162.07 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
IMG_0280B.jpg
IMG_0280B.jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
IMG_0279b.jpg
IMG_0279b.jpg (208.39 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
IMG_0276b.jpg
IMG_0276b.jpg (185.22 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
jerryloo71

Re: Pi-ano

Post by jerryloo71 »

Well if the puzzle didn't come with any instructions or did not specifically state how many solutions there are, all three can be correct; since a puzzle can have more than one solution and you have fit all the pieces flush. Secondly I do not think JC Constantine intended the puzzle for only music teachers, students or those with music knowledge to warrant only one correct solution based on a correct piano keyboard layout.

Just a quick digression from this thread...I thought there was only one solution for the Hanayama Cast Cage, see;-

http://smallpuzzlecollection.blogspot.s ... -cage.html

but Peter (pcad) pointed out to me just several days back that there are in fact four solutions (ie you can get the star out of all four slots of the cage) and these vary in difficulty...there you go!
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

B is certainly incorrect. A and C both look like valid solutions although I wouldn't say one appears more right than the other.
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
AndrewParr

Post by AndrewParr »

JerryLoo71: I suppose from the description of this puzzle on the website ("The object is to arrange all the keys so that all the pieces are flush with the piano frame.") then any solution that meets that criteria is a valid solution. So the three that I've found are equally valid. I'm sure I could find a few more solutions too!

But the obsessive-compulsive musician in me wouldn't be able to sleep at night if the puzzle wasn't solved with the black keys alternating in groups of 2s and 3s. :D
Starting over
jerryloo71

Post by jerryloo71 »

AndrewParr wrote:JerryLoo71: I suppose from the description of this puzzle on the website ("The object is to arrange all the keys so that all the pieces are flush with the piano frame.") then any solution that meets that criteria is a valid solution. So the three that I've found are equally valid. I'm sure I could find a few more solutions too!

But the obsessive-compulsive musician in me wouldn't be able to sleep at night if the puzzle wasn't solved with the black keys alternating in groups of 2s and 3s. :D
Yes, understandable. Perhaps JCC could have added an "extra" puzzle...ie, find out how a piano keyboard layout looks like first; and then try to solve...and there are only 2 solutions..."
maztec

Post by maztec »

C is correct, because it puts middle C at the center of the keyboard.
OOOOOOOoo
Bidle

Post by Bidle »

maztec wrote:C is correct, because it puts middle C at the center of the keyboard.
+1
AndrewParr

Post by AndrewParr »

maztec wrote:C is correct, because it puts middle C at the center of the keyboard.
Wouldn't that make the photo labelled A the correct layout?

(I realize my photos appeared in reverse order)
Starting over
maztec

Post by maztec »

AndrewParr wrote:
Wouldn't that make the photo labelled A the correct layout?

(I realize my photos appeared in reverse order)
You're the piano teacher ;P
OOOOOOOoo
AndrewParr

Post by AndrewParr »

It's funny, it never occurred to me that middle C in the middle of the puzzle is the better solution. But I think you're right!
Starting over

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”