Re: Wil Strijbos!!!

Post by Brassassin »

Yay! Pachinko Box is on it’s way to me.
Opened: BU BR TI OR GR IN MT AQ TQ AG
Closed: CU GM LM GY HM
Aldan

Post by Aldan »

Brassassin wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 pm Yay! Pachinko Box is on it’s way to me.
Mine too :D
Open: BLUE - BRONZE - INDIGO - MINT - COPPER - GUNMETAL - AQUA - GREEN - TITANIUM - ORANGE - SILVER - HANDMADE - MINI - TURQUOISE - LIME - BLACK-ObsV1 - SALMON - RED - GOLD - BLUE_Pro-Obs - GREY - BLACK-ObsV2 - PURPLE - BU00036 - BLACK-MERC - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
Brassassin

Post by Brassassin »

It’s here! Looks absolutely fantastic. And a little intimidating... in a good way.
Opened: BU BR TI OR GR IN MT AQ TQ AG
Closed: CU GM LM GY HM
SittingDuck

Post by SittingDuck »

Finally got a reply to my email that I sent in april, but he is out of stock for everything now it seems. But at least I am added to the newsletter.

No worries, I have a shipment in customs at the moment with a good number of his puzzles from Sloyd, so I should be set for a while when the import calculations are done :D
Open: Aqua * Titanium * Blue * Green * Bronze
Closed:Gunmetal * Copper * Indigo * Gold
Want to buy: *Orange * Silver * Red * Lime * Black * Purple * Handmade * Voyager
SittingDuck

Post by SittingDuck »

Delivery from sloyd.fi today. A good start for my Strijbos collection I think :D
IMG_20200602_165954.jpg
IMG_20200602_165954.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 19541 times
Want to buy: *Orange * Silver * Red * Lime * Black * Purple * Handmade * Voyager
chris_linnick

Post by chris_linnick »

Nice! How long did it take to arrive? I had an order from Sloyd towards the end of April and it's still not in the US.
Looking to purchase:
Limited/Special Edition (Extreme/Metal --> Black and Black merc)
PM or email (preferred): linnick.christopher@gmail.com
SittingDuck

Post by SittingDuck »

It was sent on may 18th, arrived today (yesterday was a national holiday though). So no complaints about the time. Customs only took 2 hours (but the tax was correctly calculated).

The main part of delivery was 9 days between the package leaving the sender country, and arriving in my country. No idea what happened during that time, but not uncommon with international packages.

I assume you have a tracking number, so you know what the hold up is?
chris_linnick

Post by chris_linnick »

Man that is crazy. And it's literally the same order as you pretty much.
Attachments
Image_2.PNG
Image_2.PNG (17.24 KiB) Viewed 19528 times
Image_1.PNG
Image_1.PNG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 19528 times
Looking to purchase:
Limited/Special Edition (Extreme/Metal --> Black and Black merc)
PM or email (preferred): linnick.christopher@gmail.com
mereacregrigore18

Post by mereacregrigore18 »

SittingDuck wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:27 pm Delivery from sloyd.fi today. A good start for my Strijbos collection I think :D
That’s a great collection to start! Enjoy!!
SittingDuck

Post by SittingDuck »

I am trying to restrain myself from jumping at all of them at once no, so for now I think I will attack them one by one.

I will make a comment about the Dovetail no1 which is the only one I have picked up to try and solve. When I made the order, I was unsure about if I should get the dovetails or not. They are obviously not as complex of a puzzle as many of his other works, and from what I have read many feels that they may not be worth the price. In addition, the possibilities of how do disconnect two metal pieces should be limited, so how different can the three different cubes really be? (I was only able to get two though, as no3 was out of stock).

For my part though, I decided on getting them for several reasons: I consider myself a collector, they really appeal to me, and even if they should be less of a puzzle, I can show them to non-puzzlers to get them intriuged in the puzzle world.

First impressions (no real spoilers):
Now, when I first picked it up, I just studied the craftmanship for a couple of minutes before deciding to solve it. It was really obvious to me what move I would need to perform to solve it. I mean, just look at it, right? So I did that, and then....surprise. The parts don't move at all. So okay, Wil had an unexpected trick. No problem, the less obvious solution quickly came to mind. Performed the move, and.... still nothing! So I ended up trying all the things I could think of, and suddenly I was out of new ideas. Still, no progression. I am stuck, and I completely love that a puzzle that seems so simple can baffle me. Even if I solve it within the next 10 seconds of picking it up, I have already gotten quite a joy out of it.

I have now tried my hands on it for about 10 minutes two nights in a row, and I am no closer to solving it.

Keep in mind though, that I am really inexperienced with puzzles, so the solution might be something very common or easy to figure out for other people (but many puzzles will have different difficulty for different people I guess, as we all think differntly and have diffenrent experiences).

My point is, for anyone that are on the fence about the dovetails cubes; the may be worth it to you, at least if you are inexperienced. If you could afford them without taking too much of a hit on your puzzle budget, I would recommend them.

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”