Other Revolving Maze Puzzles

a-maze-ing

Re: Other Revolving Maze Puzzles

Post by a-maze-ing »

They still take me longer to solve than a revoblue/green/bronze.
One of the Dutch toy shops is now clearing out their stock of yellow and orange Daeloring, they are on sale for 4 euro each.
Great kids birthday presents...
Extreme #14: OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN
Limited #14: OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN STAMATIC
pcad

Post by pcad »

After convincing myself not to bring a Revomaze with me in both carry on and checked luggage I thought I wouldn't have a maze toy to bring with me on my trip. The day before my flight I was in the local pharmacy which is like a mini supermarket and saw the groove tubes in the toy section. I picked up both the yellow and the orange since they were a tiny fraction of the price of even an obsession .

Of course I solved both of them without much difficulty, but they weren't trivial either. To a normal person who isn't a puzzle lover these would be rather frustrating and may take them a while to solve them.

As said before, these are simple 2 dimensional mazes with one entrance and one exit. The two mazes I have can be each laid out on a 14 x 15 grid and have very little wasted spaces. The challenge is the same for all such mazes consisting of multiple dead ends and branches. If one simply follows one wall you would eventually arrive at the exit. One could map the maze in the same way we map revomazes too. Of course not being able to see the maze is similar to Revomazes and increases the difficulty of the maze. The "pin" has only a tiny amount of give and isn't used except in one situation which isn't during the solving of the maze. Once the maze is solved, the outer ring can be reset to the beginning by aligning the pin with a straight through path that has a small one way ramp at the end of it that prevents the ring from being removed without going through the maze.

While these are mazes, a Revomaze is much more like a labyrinth where a maze is negotiated with multiple pitfalls. In addition, with a spring loaded pin there's a 3 dimensional aspect to them. If you consider the dynamic aspects of some Revomazes there's no real comparison between the difficulty of a Revomaze and a groove tube.

If one ignores or doesn't know about the one wall trick these can be solved with repetition and memorization which takes a lot longer. These would be a decent diversion for non puzzlers above some minimum age to adults. The limited reset path eliminates the chore of solving the maze backwards.

For the minimal cost of these toys I'm happy with them. If I run into the green or other versions of them I wouldn't mind getting them too.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Here's something I found recently that I thought may be of interest here:

TROi (Octogo Games) by Puzzleparadox, on Flickr
TROi (Octogo Games) by Puzzleparadox, on Flickr

It's called 'TROi', and it is essentially a static maze in which you have to guide the red light from the large open window seen in the picture to a small 'eyehole' window on the opposite side. The maze pin is attached to the red outer shell, and obviously the maze track covers the entire surface of the green inner sphere. Pretty cool I think!
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
Mr. Tea

Post by Mr. Tea »

I really like it!
BU01080 Open
BR00486 Open
OR00108 Open
TI (SE) 18-50 Open
LM00018 Playing
Blue Obs Open, Blue Obs Pro Open, Black Obs Closed
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

I wonder if Chris fancies making a spherical Revo... :twisted:
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
Will

Post by Will »

That's a great idea continueing the "revo' theme! :) Let wait for R3s and see what'll come out.
LM #21: Opened
IN #21: Opened
GM #21: Opened
BR #21: Opened
OR #151: Opened
Ti SE 21-50: Opened
BU #808: Opened
CU #21: Twisting and turning
AU #21: Waiting
Orko

Post by Orko »

Does somebody have a pic of all deal o ring and doolorinth mazes? I have made a copy of all mazes with play doh, but with the doolorinth black it works not very fine cause the play doh won't leave all these corners :lol:
BUBUproGRTI SERBRORAGLMCUPU★BL★BLV2★BM★AUAQINGMHM★mini★MTHMMTSLTQ
Voyager #55☆☿☆♀☆ErisMakemake

Extreme,Devil,Deep blue,Aurum,Purple Haze,Eagle-Isis,Tessarisis,Kuku,NKryptor5% Ramisis G1,Devil Ramisis,,Coppernisis,Devil Tarka1%
Sledneck27

Post by Sledneck27 »

Just found this thread, I really like the look of those Blind Labyrinth's. Has anyone here ever played with them? Theyre obviously extremely simple compared to a Revo, but still look enjoyable and fairly well built. Sloyd still lists both versions as in-stock for only 25EUR each, wonder if they ship to the states?
V1 AQ00096 - Open.
V1 BU02237 - Open.
V1 GR01922 - Open.
Brian706

Post by Brian706 »

Sledneck27 wrote:Just found this thread, I really like the look of those Blind Labyrinth's. Has anyone here ever played with them? Theyre obviously extremely simple compared to a Revo, but still look enjoyable and fairly well built. Sloyd still lists both versions as in-stock for only 25EUR each, wonder if they ship to the states?
They ship to the States. I've purchased from them before.
OPENED: AQ BU GR
CLOSED: BR CU IN GM R MT SA TI AU AG
Sledneck27

Post by Sledneck27 »

Brian706 wrote:
Sledneck27 wrote:Just found this thread, I really like the look of those Blind Labyrinth's. Has anyone here ever played with them? Theyre obviously extremely simple compared to a Revo, but still look enjoyable and fairly well built. Sloyd still lists both versions as in-stock for only 25EUR each, wonder if they ship to the states?
They ship to the States. I've purchased from them before.
Awesome, thanks! I might just pick them up as cheap entertainment until I can afford some more Revo's.
V1 AQ00096 - Open.
V1 BU02237 - Open.
V1 GR01922 - Open.

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”