SonicWarp puzzles

bluesign2k
Site Admin

Re: SonicWarp puzzles

Post by bluesign2k »

The build quality on the Isis was pretty good actually. The only 2 issues that I can think of were that there were a few at one point that had a little too much glue so it made navigating the BB a little tricky, others also complained that after it had been opened a few times the lock refused to stay down which made it harder to open and reset. That was mainly from whiners though, I thought it should have been like that from the beginning and the later Isis were designed not to hold the lock down at all.

The Kuku was pretty cool too. A nice little pocket sized puzzle to stump friends. They're even better when you've prized out the excess gunk from the anodising process that sticks the piece together too ;) ... to be fair though, I think only a few of the originals suffered from this and mine works really well now.

The Ramisis was junk. I've opened (and disassembled) about 10 or so now and the variation in build quality is epic. Quite a few have shredded themselves, some are so stiff that even knowing exactly how to unlock it have still take me an hour or so to crack. I've even seen a few with razor sharp edges inside. It looks fairly nice but as a puzzle it's pretty rubbish. I see the price of them is now £200 too... madness!

Words can't describe how disappointed I was in the Coppernisis. Other than the fact that mine began to fall apart within a day, the puzzle mechanism was clearly though out on the back of a fag packet after a few pints. If you want to solve it properly then you *have* to have the internet. If the SW website goes down at some point in the future then it becomes unsolvable for anyone trying to solve it from the start. When I say it's "unsolvable" that's not entirely true either as it's actually far easier to open it with a parerclip than using the proper solution... but whatever. Get a £10 combination bike lock, squash it flat and you pretty much have a Compernisis.

I'm really looking forward to Isis 4! Its going to be loads of *fun*! :roll:
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
RichAE91

Post by RichAE91 »

Well my isis I was actually unsolvable due to a glue issue and had to be opened via the unofficial method after which i spent nearly 20min fixing the glue issue but other than that the isis I was a pretty sturdy puzzle so i may have jumped the gun on saying the quality is awful on that one!
R1
Ex: Br V2 - O
LE: Ti (SE) 08-50 - O

Ex #88:
CE Assembled: Bu - O, Gr - O, Br - O, Ag - O, Au - C, Ti - O
LE: Or - O, LM - O,

Obs: Bl V1 - O, Bl V2 - O, Bu Pro - O

R2 Voyager #88
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

I bought my Isis just recently off of eBay for around £30, and I'm actually pretty happy with it! It is a great looking puzzle, and to be honest I think it's well made. I wouldn't have spent over £100 on one, but if you can find one like I did then it's a steal!

I'd consider getting a Kuku as well, but once again I wouldn't pay anywhere near full price for it. The other two however I have seen/heard enough about them to know that they will be of no interest to me whatsoever.

Anywho, here's the one that I just received:

Isis Eagle (Sonic Games) by Puzzleparadox, on Flickr
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
Fabregas485

Post by Fabregas485 »

I have not had the best of times with Isis', but it can have its moments :D
Black ob V2 - Recieved - On Loan
Blue ob - Ordered - My new toy has arrived
Marmot Man

Post by Marmot Man »

I'm not an experienced puzzler yet, so take my opinion for what is worth. I.e. nearly nothing. But I have a positive opinion of the SW/SG puzzles. It was the Isis, actually, that sucked me into the whole puzzling vortex - including the Revomaze. :)

Overall I thought the Isis was pretty fun. I think it could be made into more of a "pure" puzzle by eliminating the clues and modifying the starting mechanism such that it was more easily discoverable through trial and/or reasoning.

Just opened the key chamber on the "G2" Ramisis last night. Was slightly disappointed by this one in that it didn't take all that much manipulation, listening, and fiddling to get things done. Once again, eliminating the clues (which I had decrypted on my own as with the Isis) might turn it into more of a pure puzzle. Haven't disassembled this one yet.

My Copernisis is "in the shop" right now. As noted by others, there have been some issues with planet pins coming loose. I'm sure they were held in their slots with some sort of adhesive that loosens due to the repeated lateral force that comes with precisely trying to count the number of position "clicks". SG has been very responsive regarding this issue and is replacing my puzzle with a new, slightly reengineered, version that uses threaded pins. Haven't quite solved this one yet, but I think I was about 99% done when my pins started to come out of the slots.

With some probing of the Kuku using a thin piece of paper, I think I know how this one works. I have, unfortunately, not gotten any movement in the pieces yet. Reading others comments, I'm wondering if I maybe have the "stuck together" issue described by others. I'll keep working on this one as time permits.

Then there is "The Sentinel". I have one of these, but haven't done much more than pick it up yet. Saving it for a suitable lull. My understanding is that this one isn't that difficult.

Finally, the iBall3. Not a puzzle exactly. But sorta. I actually really like this one, having "solved" the regular version and been upgraded to the red "elite" variant. Off all my puzzles, this is the one that I can pick up at any time and challenge my logical reasoning and memory skills.

My favorite so far, though, has been the Copernisis. Sorry bluesign2k. :) I totally get people's concerns about needing the web site to solve the puzzle, the pins falling out, etc. But I still thought the overall "story" of this puzzle was quite entertaining. The progression from opening the secret chamber, solving the "equation" etched inside, applying the equation, the tie in to Copernicus, etc. A great story if you don't try to jump to the end quickly.

On the Revomaze side, I've solved only the Blue. Skipped the Green at Revomaster's suggestion and am working on a Bronze that he provided while I'm waiting for my (pre-assembled) CE. Also have an outstanding order for an Orange.

Overall I find the Revomaze (thus far) more "technical" in nature with a bit less pageantry than the Isis series. And I'm sure that is what many of you like about the Revomaze compared to the Isis series. Personally, I don't mind the over-the-top drama of the SG puzzles. A little drama is fun sometimes. I have both Revomazes and my Isis puzzles on my desk and people tend to gravitate towards the Isis first. I'm certainly not saying it is a better puzzle than a Revomaze - just that it attracts people's attention more readily. And sucking people into puzzling is a good thing IMO.
Fabregas485

Post by Fabregas485 »

I have both of my revomazes on my desk, and they are always commented on. I even started giving Chris' buisness card to those who ask about them :D

When it comes to the sonicwarp puzzles, I think the sort of ball shape is what people would tend to pick up first, but as a puzzle I find people tend to go more towards the revo.
Black ob V2 - Recieved - On Loan
Blue ob - Ordered - My new toy has arrived
maztec

Post by maztec »

I prefer puzzles that tell a story, but the story and the clues are built into the puzzle itself.
OOOOOOOoo
Marmot Man

Post by Marmot Man »

Agreed. I think the spherical shape of the Isis is a big factor in the layperson's fascination with it. And the hieroglyphics rings. People just love to pick it up and turn those rings. Little do they know... :lol: But this is the whole pageantry aspect that I feel SW/SG is particularly good at.

I've read here on the forums that the Silver and Orange in particular have a good "story" to them. Maybe even the Bronze? I'm probably not far enough along in the Bronze to be able to tell. My comments about Revos being more "technical" stems from the Blue and what I've solved thus-far in the Bronze. And I do love the Revos! I wouldn't have laid out the cash for the CE and Orange if I didn't. :) I'm looking forward to progressing (eventually) to those puzzles and experience the story aspect a bit more.
maztec

Post by maztec »

More accurately. If you give me the puzzle and lock me in a room without any internet access, I should be able to solve it without having to know any trivia. The puzzle itself should provide me with all of the tools necessary to solve it.
OOOOOOOoo
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

I'll take that one step further Jay, and say that you should be able to lock me in a padded cell naked with the puzzle, and I should be able to solve it.

I seem to recall someone commenting about the Danlock with that exact comment.

I just hope there are no windows in that padded cell ... no-one needs to see me naked!
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”