Blue Progress and Help

General Questions and Progress Updates.
pcad

Re: Blue Progress and Help

Post by pcad »

First post here. I bought the blue obsession 2 weeks ago and opened it within the week.

I enjoyed it so much that I ordered a blue, green and bronze extreme. I figure that will keep me going for awhile. ;) I bought the blue extreme so I can see the maze part of the shaft. Not being able to remove the shaft from the obsessions is more frustrating than I thought it would be.

I might break down and get the black obsession since the black extreme is no longer made. If I do I guess I'll have to get the green obsession too. ARRGH!

My thanks to Chris for inventing such an additive puzzle.

Peter
illusion_fx

Post by illusion_fx »

Hi all,

Havnt been on here for awhile, and thought id just say that i finally got a hybrid Blue V2 core with a V1 outer last saturday, (chris is getting my V2 order correct in time for xmas 2011 hopefully)

now i realise you lot are going to say "what a wacky thing to have had sent"

BUT

i ordered AGES AGO, WAY BACK BEFORE MPP4 3 x V2 Blue ... AND 3 x V2 Black + a trainer for my silver ex

However due to them not turning up anytime soon (hopefully not much longer chris p!) Chris was kind enough to send me the above "hybrid" which i have to say i only started to have ago at Today at 7pm ish and completed the core removal just before 10pm...not bad...

SO guys heres to me looking at the V2 Core against my map, and MAN! was the "nasty bit" a total nightmare...

Still thought id say...all done in a night and waiting for the proper V2's

ive also noticed on here a green ob was available many moons ago.... did it used to be green level 2.....if so, why nolonger available... :(

PS ive appled access to the forum OPENED BLUE OBSESSION area, if someone with authority will be kind enough to switch on - ta (code certificate already sent to email address/Chris earlier)
Extreme
SILVER - #AG00181 - puzzling
ORANGE - #OR00070 - puzzling

v2 Ob's
Blue - Opened & registered
Blue Pro - Opened & registered

Black - Puzzling

Blue Hybrid v2 core with v1 sleeve
- Opened & registered
pcad

Post by pcad »

The Green Obsession is essentially the same design as the Green Extreme revomaze. There are minor differences that were probably needed to compensate for the differences in strength between plastic and brass. These changes, in my opinion, don't change the experience of solving the green maze.

As to why the Green design isn't currently available is something only Chris knows. I suspect one reason is that the Blue design is plenty tough for most people. Only puzzle freaks need puzzles harder than the Blue, hence the Bronze. The majority of those that have opened the Green and Bronze feel that the Bronze is the better, more rewarding puzzle (more difficult also).

I've examined the V1 and V2 Blue cores and except for the V2 being removable, they seem to be the same. There are slight differences between the plastic and metal versions, but the experience is essentially the same. There is a different feel to the Obsessions which I chalk up to the materials and how they slide against each other and not related to the slight differences in the maze design.

A pro version of the Blue Obsession was announced not long ago. I don't think there are any details on what the differences are yet. If the new engineering firm is as good as Chris says, we may see the Blue Pro made available in the not too distant future. I know, famous last words, but I'm hopeful that production is going well.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

...I think the Blue Pro version is the one that Chris was handing around for folks to play with at MPP4 - it's a straight Blue maze with a twist at the end - a little mechanism that means you have to solve the puzzle SIX times before you can release the core. :shock:

The one I have looks the same as any other Revo on the outside... :twisted:

allard
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
pcad

Post by pcad »

Hmm... Maybe we'll need another forum for the pro when it arrives.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
pcad

Post by pcad »

If you're not pulling our collective legs a change like that would make one of Chris's recent e-mail comments make more sense,

While this feature might be fun on a Blue maze it would be absolutely terrifying if implemented on a Green maze. :o Let's hope Chris doesn't read this.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Fabregas485

Post by Fabregas485 »

Sorry to bump this thread, but I feel this is the best place for my question.

How much easier is this than the black v2? Like in terms of long long it takes to solve etc.
Black ob V2 - Recieved - On Loan
Blue ob - Ordered - My new toy has arrived
pcad

Post by pcad »

Opinion will differ but any Blue should be easier than either Black maze. The V1 and V2 blue obsessions are more forgiving than the Extreme and the Pro even though the maze is essentially the same. General consensus is that the new Black is more difficult than the original Black. I felt that the original Black was a nice warm up for the Bronze for reasons that are obvious for those that have done both.

So, yes, the Blue Pro should be easier than the V2 Black even though the Pro only opens after running through the maze a number of times. Currency the V2 Blue Obsession is the easiest maze they sell but only by a little bit. I think the Pro is just as doable for the novice as the V1.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Fabregas485

Post by Fabregas485 »

Who not much difference in the blue obsession and black obsession?
I will leave the pro till I can open up my black. Just thinking ordering the black first was a mistake on my part, and I should order the blue to get use to revo mazes.
Black ob V2 - Recieved - On Loan
Blue ob - Ordered - My new toy has arrived
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

Starting with the Blue is what most existing users would suggest to new users. I've had a 10 minute play on the Black v2 the other day and thought it seemed more challenging than the v1 Black... which was harder than the Blue.

Some people just have a knack of understanding the mazes and can start with a Black or Bronze. However, if you feel you're struggling with it the it may be worth getting a Blue so you can get a better understanding of how they work. All the paths/traps in the Blue (and Green) are orthogonal... this isn't the case in the other mazes which is one of the reasons they're harder.
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze

Return to “Blue Obsession General”